If you’re looking for a day filled with emotion, determination and inspiration, then why not sign up for Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life 2008. Opening for entries on 21st January, Cancer Research UK is inviting hundreds of thousands of women to walk, jog or run 5k from 3rd May to end of July and raise millions of pounds for vital research into cancer.
Now in its 15th year, Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life has grown to become the UK’s biggest women-only fundraising event. Since it began in 1994, an incredible 3.4 million women have come together to raise over £200 million to help Cancer Research UK beat cancer.
Many women who take part in Race for Life do so for a personal reason; some women are cancer survivors while others take part in memory of or to celebrate the lives of loved ones affected by cancer.
At each of the 260 events you’ll find the same, overwhelming sense of pride and sisterhood. Hundreds of thousands of women of all ages, shapes and sizes, inspire each other to complete the 5k course walking, chatting and having fun. Some wearing fancy dress but all wearing back signs of those they are taking part for, capturing the true spirit of Race for Life.
Gloria Hunniford, Patron of Race for Life says: “I’m extremely proud to be patron of Race for Life 2008 and would urge every woman, no matter what their age or ability, to sign up for their local event. It’s all about women coming together, having fun and celebrating the meaning of Race for Life. The genuine enthusiasm and emotion demonstrated by women across the UK creates an atmosphere that is truly unique and inspiring. It means so much to me to be a part of this amazing event”.
To enter Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life 2008 or for more information visit www.raceforlife.org or call the hotline on 08705 134 314.
For media enquiries, celebrity interviews or case studies please contact Jane Warden in the press office on 020 7061 8302 or email.
Race for Life 2008
- 260 events taking place across the UK launching from 3rd May until 27th July 2008
- Race for Life opens for entries on 21st January 2008
- Enter by visiting www.raceforlife.org or calling 08705 134 314
- Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life 2008 is supported by the following partners, Tesco, Reebok and Nivea
About Cancer Research UK
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK’s vision is to beat cancer.
- Cancer Research UK carries out world-class research to improve understanding of the disease and find out how to prevent, diagnose and treat different kinds of cancer.
- Cancer Research UK ensures that its findings are used to improve the lives of all cancer patients.
- Cancer Research UK helps people to understand cancer, the progress that is being made and the choices each person can make.
- Cancer Research UK works in partnership with others to achieve the greatest impact in the global fight against cancer.
- For further information about Cancer Research UK’s work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 020 7009 8820 or visit our homepage.