Global design duo and Cancer Research UK team up to create ‘Fukuro’ bag for life
Cancer Research UK and design duo, Eley Kishimoto, have teamed up to produce an organic cotton re-useable shopper. Encouraging consumers to shop with a conscience and reduce the amount of plastic used in-store, this season’s ‘must have’ eco friendly bag will be available throughout Cancer Research UK’s 600 nationwide stores (including Wishes shops*) from March 1st 2008 at only £2.99.
The bag features an owl motif, and is in the spirit of Eley Kishimoto’s Autumn Winter 2008 collection, which will hit the catwalk during February’s London Fashion Week.
Already a lucky mascot for Eley Kishimoto, the owl is widely recognised as a symbol of wisdom, guardianship and renewal of life. The sentiment and design were ideal to help raise awareness for Cancer Research UK, whilst helping to protect the environment. The water based printing inks and organic cotton material were obvious choices, and reflect the importance of responsible production. All profits raised from the collaboration will go towards research into beating cancer.
Mark and Wakako of Eley Kishimoto said, “We’ve had friends with cancer and therefore we were very keen to design something where profits would help eliminate, control or improve quality of life for sufferers. We are delighted to be involved with Cancer Research UK for this exciting project.”
Cancer Research UK’s retail director, Simon Ledsham, says of the collaboration, “We’re very excited about the collaboration with Eley Kishimoto as it will help us reduce our use of plastic bags in stores while also helping to fund vital research to fight cancer.”
As part of Cancer Research UK’s environmental strategy, the charity will be asking customers in its shops for a voluntary donation of 5p for a plastic bag. This is part of a bid to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and the number of shopping bags that are sent to landfill each year. Cancer Research UK is the first charity to roll out this scheme nationally.
For further information please contact the press office on 020 7061 8315 or, out-of-hours, the duty press officer on 07050 264 059.
About Cancer Research UK
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK’s vision is to beat cancer.
- Fukuro bag will be available from March 1st 2008 across all 600 Cancer Research UK stores and Wishes shops.
- Wishes is a chain of card shops that are owned and run by Cancer Research UK.
- To register for the bag online, payment for the bag will be £2.99 plus £2 postage.
- Cancer Research UK carries out world-class research to improve understanding of the disease and find out how to prevent, diagnose and treat different kinds of cancer.
- Cancer Research UK ensures that its findings are used to improve the lives of all cancer patients.
- Cancer Research UK helps people to understand cancer, the progress that is being made and the choices each person can make.
- Cancer Research UK works in partnership with others to achieve the greatest impact in the global fight against cancer.
- For further information about Cancer Research UK’s work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 020 7009 8820 or visit our homepage.