Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life 2009 event series is now open for entries and the charity is inviting every woman to enter, take part and experience the true spirit of Race for Life! This year Cancer Research UK is hoping hundreds of thousands of women of all ages come together and walk, jog, run and have fun at the 5k events across the UK, to help raise as much money as possible to beat cancer.
Now in its 16th year, Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life continues to be the most successful and largest women’s only fundraising event across the UK. Whether you have a personal reason for entering, are taking part with a group of friends or are simply keen to raise as much money as possible for a great cause, Race for Life is a fun day out and a heart warming experience for everyone involved.
For those who feel daunted by the 5k distance – there really is no need as 5k isn’t that far and is totally achievable. You’d probably spend more time doing your weekly food shop than it’ll take to complete your Race for Life!
Last year over 687,000 women came together at more than 250 events across the UK. At each event, thousands of women of all ages, shapes and sizes inspired each other to complete the 5k course. Some women chose to wear fancy dress and walked the event; friends, sisters, daughters and mothers chatted and jogged their way around; and others took part in their full sports kit trying to beat their target time – but all of them were united in their goal of raising money to help beat cancer.
Since Race for Life began in 1994, over 4 million inspiring women have raised an incredible £240 million for Cancer Research UK’s life saving work. By entering this year and taking part in one of over 230 events from May to end July, you can be part of the true spirit of Race for Life. Your support and dedication will help to celebrate the lives of those who have been affected by cancer and raise vital funds to beat the disease.
Nell McAndrew, Race for Life supporter and participant for the past seven years said:
“I’m extremely proud to be supporting and taking part in the Race for Life series again for 2009. I would really urge everyone to join in and take part at one of the many 5k events local to you this year.
The great passion and sense of achievement that you feel at the finish line is overwhelming and the genuine emotion shown by women across the UK creates the Race for Life atmosphere that is truly inspiring. By joining in with family and friends and taking part this year, you’ll be helping to fund the charity’s life saving work.”
To enter Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life 2009 or for more information, visit Race for Life 2009 or call the hotline on 0871 641 2282.
For media enquiries, please contact the Cancer Research UK press office on 020 7061 8315 or, out-of-hours,the duty press officer on 07050 264 059.
Race for Life 2009
- Over 230 events taking place across the UK from May until end July 2009
- Race for Life opens for entries on 19 January 2009 and entry fee is £12.99
- Enter by visiting www.raceforlife.org or calling 0871 641 2282
- Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life 2009 is supported by Tesco and Nivea
About Cancer Research UK
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK’s vision is to beat cancer.
- Cancer Research UK carries out world-class research to improve understanding of the disease and find out how to prevent, diagnose and treat different kinds of cancer.
- Cancer Research UK ensures that its findings are used to improve the lives of all cancer patients.
- Cancer Research UK helps people to understand cancer, the progress that is being made and the choices each person can make.
- Cancer Research UK works in partnership with others to achieve the greatest impact in the global fight against cancer.
- For further information about Cancer Research UK’s work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 020 7121 6699 or visit our homepage.