The ‘Judi’ duck will fly into 600 Cancer Research UK shops across the country from 10 August 2009 and will be on sale for just £4.99 each. They will also be available from the charity’s new online shop, www.shoptobeatcancer.org.uk. All profits will go towards the charity’s vital work to help beat cancer.
Dame Judi Dench has designed her duck with a pearlised body giving it a delicate sheen, and embellished it with a pink necklace, with the initials JD interwoven into the string of pearls. The body of the duck is dotted with pretty pink hearts and a pink beak.
Dame Judi Dench, designer of Judi duck, said “I was really delighted to get involved with Cancer Research UK and the charity’s breast cancer awareness campaign.
I know first hand what a devastating disease cancer is and I hope that the Judi duck will help raise awareness as well as funds for Cancer Research UK’s life saving work.
I encourage all women to attend screening when invited and be aware of their bodies. We should all ‘Join the fight for women’s survival’.”
Last year, ‘Bones’ designed by Sharon Osbourne, ‘Duckie’ designed by Twiggy and ‘Garbo’ designed by Barbara Hulanicki were a huge hit, selling out within days, helping to raise thousands of pounds for vital research into cancer. Not only are the celebrity-designed ducks a collector’s item and perfect addition to any bathroom, but they also come with important information on how to be breast aware.
Dr Lesley Walker, director of cancer information at Cancer Research UK said: “We really encourage all women to get to know their breasts and take time to check for any changes. Taking a bath is a perfect time to do this.”
As well as the Judi Duck, Cancer Research UK has two other limited edition ducks to add to a collection:
The Blossom duck, designed in a calming blue colour with pink sprigs of blossom.
The Camo duck has been designed to reflect Cancer Research UK’s new camouflage identity, which will run throughout many elements of the campaign
For more information please contact Abby Lenehan in the Cancer Research UK press office: Tel: 020 7061 8492, email: [email protected], or the out of hours duty press officer on 07050 264 059.
Notes to editors:
• More than 45,000 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed annually in the UK, and approx 300 cases occur in men
• For further information on Cancer Research UK’s breast cancer awareness campaign visit www.jointhefight.org.uk
• For more information about cancer, its risks and treatments, visit www.cancerhelp.org.uk
About Cancer Research UK
• Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading charity dedicated to beating cancer through research.
• The charity’s groundbreaking work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives. This work is funded entirely by the public.
• Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates double in the last thirty years.
• Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of more than 4,800 scientists, doctors and nurses.
• Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK’s vision is to beat cancer.
For further information about Cancer Research UK’s work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 020 7121 6699 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org