Outside of the lab, Sigourney is the co-founder of Black in Cancer, a global organisation that aims to strengthen the network between Black people in the cancer space whilst highlighting Black excellence in cancer research and medicine.
During Black History Month, Black in Cancer runs a week of events across various social media platforms and organises webinars to help educate researchers, medical experts, and those affected by cancer.
We hear about what the challenges are of working on a rare children’s cancer, find out what led to the founding of Black in Cancer, and learn what’s on the agenda from October 10th – 15th for Black in Cancer Week 2021.
How to find out more about Black in Cancer:
- Follow Sigourney at @siggs28 on Twitter and Instagram
- Check out @blackincancer on Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
- Black in Cancer website
- Check out #BlackinCancerWeek21
To read more about the topics discussed:
- Delivering the future of paediatric brain tumour therapy – Cancer Research UK
- Gilbertson Lab – Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute
- The Legacy of Henrietta Lacks – Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Henrietta Lacks: science must right a historical wrong – Nature
- Henrietta Lacks’ estate sues drug company that sold her cells – The Guardian